Collegium Melitense, Valletta
MALTA, 1992, the 4th centenary of the university, Scott 809-810
The University of Malta traces its origins to the founding by the Society of Jesus of the Collegium Melitense on 12 November 1592. This college was run by the Jesuits at Valletta for non-Jesuit students. In 1578, Pope Gregory XIII empowered the Jesuits to confer the degrees of Magister Philosphiae and Doctor Divinitatis. Other subjects, however, such as Grammar and the Humanities were also taught. After the expulsion of the Jesuit Order from Malta in 1768 by Grand Master Pinto, the Grand Master appropriated all the revenue accruing from its property and established a "Pubblica Università di Studi Generali". The decree constituting the University was signed by Pinto on the 22nd November 1769. The lower value stamp shows the facade of the old building at Valletta, the higher shows the newer buildings at Tal-Qroqq, Msida.