The University of Lviv
UKRAINE, 2011, a stamp celebrating 350 years of the University of Lviv and its FDI cancel, Scott 838
KPN POLAND, 1989. This stamp was issued in 1989 by the KPN (Konfederacja Polski Niepodleglej, or the Confederation of Independent Poland).
It was an unofficial, underground propaganda issue by the Solidarity movement against Communist oppression in Poland and the oppression of Polish universities by the Soviet Union during World War II.
The underground members who issued these stamps, if caught, would have been imprisoned without trial.
Lviv University, officially the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, is the oldest continuously operating university in Ukraine. The Jesuits had tried without success to create the university in 1589, since establishing another college in Poland was seen as a threat by authorities of Kraków's Jagiellonian University, who did not want a rival and for many years managed to halt plans of the Jesuits. But the Jesuits did establish a collegium in the city of Lviv in 1608. The postal envelope below commemorates the 400th anniversary of that college.
UKRAINE, 2008, postal stationary (envelope) marking the 4th centenary of the Jesuit college
and featuring the library of the (now) Ivan Franko National University of Lviv
On January 20, 1661 King John II Casimir of Poland (himself a former Jesuit) issued the diploma granting the Jesuit Collegium of Lviv "the honor of the academy and the title of the university" with the right to teach all contemporary university subjects and to certify the scientific degrees of bachelor, licentiate, master anddoctor.
The teaching at Lviv University was conducted on the model of other European academies. The University built and bought new premises, and possessed a library and the largest printing press in Lviv. The Jesuit collegium existed as such until 1758, when King Augustus III issued a decree, which described the collegium as an academic school, with two departments: theology and philosophy. In 1772 Lviv was annexed by Austria and the Society of Jesus was dissolved by the government in Vienna. The school became the State Academy, and twelve years later was again granted university status. After several closuresincluding one by the Soviets during World War IIand changes of name, it continues today as the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, one of the most prestigious institutions of the country.