Bl. José de Anchieta, SJ
BRAZIL, 1989, the Foundation's 20th anniversary, Scott 2172
TV Cultura channel is one of the projects of the Father Anchieta Foundation the Pauline Centre for Educational Radio and Television named in honor of Blessed José de Anchieta. This Foundation was set up by the government of São Paulo State in 1967 and is now a private body enjoying intellectual, political, and administrative autonomy.
St. Aloysius Gonzaga, SJ
PHILIPPINES, 1973, the 60th anniversary of St. Louis University, Baguio City, Scott 1183-1185
one stamp surcharged in 1976 to mark Philatelic Week, Scott 1305
In 1911, Fr Séraphin Devesse, CICM (Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary) founded a one-room elementary school in Baguio for ten local boys. Such was the origin of Saint Louis School University. In 1915 intermediate grades and a trade school were added, in 1921 the high school, in 1952 college-level courses in the Liberal Arts and Commerce, in 1955, graduate-level programs, and on 13 May 1963 Saint Louis College was granted University status by the Philippine Government. It now has thirty buildings and more than twenty-two thousand students. It is named for the Jesuit saint Aloysius Gonzaga, patron of youth, as are three other CICM schools in the Philippines. More
Fr. Patrick F. Healy, SJ
UNITED STATES, 1989, the bicentennial of the Georgetown University, Scott UX128
with FDC cachets from Coronado and Fleetwood picturing Fr. Healy.
The United States postal card commemorating the 1989 bicentennial of Georgetown University in Washington, DC featured Healy Hall, named in honor of Fr. Patrick Healy, SJ, former president of the university (1834-1910).
St. Ignatius Loyoa, SJ
MEXICO, 1985, Mexican Colonial Buildings, Scott 1430, 1430a
While the Colegio de las Vizcainas, a masterpiece of XVIII century Baroque is well known, its real name is not. It was founded in the 18th century by Basque emigrants to Mexico for their daughters' education; as a school mainly for Basque girls, it was called Las Vizcainas. But its real name is the Colegio de San Ignacio de Loyola, so called because of the understandable devotion of its founders to their fellow Basque. The corner stone was laid on his feast in 1734. It now accepts students from the whole Mexican society, regardlesss of their origins.
Bishop William F. O'Hare, SJ
JAMAICA, 1992, 50th anniversary of the Credit Union Movement in Jamaica, Scott 781
featuring O'Hare Hall at St. George's College, Kingston, Jamaica which was named for him.
Fr. William F. O'Hare was born in Boston, Massachusetts on 23 January 1870, entered the Society of Jesus in what was then the Maryland-New York Province. He was ordained priest in 1903, and came to the Jamaica mission. In 1913, as headmaster of St. George's College in Kingston, he authorized the construction of the landmark building(shown above) that was later to be named for him. He was appointed Vicar Apostolic of Jamaica in 1919 and ordained bishop the following year. He remained in office until his death on 11 October 1926.
Fr. Michael O'Kane, SJ
UNITED STATES, 1993, the sesquicentennial of the college, Scott UX171
The United States postal card commemorating the 1993 sesquicentennial of the College of the Holy Cross in Worchester, Massachusetts features O'Kane Hall, named for Fr. Michael O'Kane, SJ (1849-1917) the eleventh president of the College (1889-1893). Fr. O'Kane is pictured on this Colorano FDC. More