Father James A. Cullen, SJ
Founder of the Pioneer Total Abstinence Association
IRELAND, 1999, the centenary of the Pioneer Total Abstinence Association of the Sacred Heart, Scott 1184
This commemorative stamp features the Sacred Heart badge of the Pioneers, the founder, Fr. James A. Cullen, SJ and the facade of St. Francis Xavier Church in Dublin. Cullen was born October 23, 1841 in New Ross, Co. Wexford. He was ordained in 1864 and appointed curate in Wexford where he introduced the Christmas crib. In 1866 he was one of the founders of the House of Missions in Enniscorthy. He entered the Society of Jesus in 1881 and after studies in Belgium returned to Dublin. There he and four lady associates, Mrs. A Egan, Mrs. M L Bury, Mrs. A M Sullivan and Miss L Power, founded the Pioneer's Association on December 28, 1898 in the Church of St. Francis Xavier. PTAA membership in the early days was limited to women. Men were first admitted in 1899. Fr. Cullen remained in Dublin until his death in 1921.