Manresa Jesuit Retreat House, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, 2005, personalized photo postage
Manresa Jesuit Retreat House, in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, was founded in 1926 by Catholic laymen who maintained ownership of the property until 1945, and control of the finances until 1960, transferring these in the respective years to the Jesuits. But Jesuit directors ran the house and its retreats from the beginning. Manresa offers weekly conference retreats, year-round, individually-directed retreats, workshops and numerous other offerings including a five-course Seminar on Ignatian Spirituality, and an Internship in Spiritual Companionship. In 1934 the original manor house burned and a new building, seen above, was completed in 1936. The building has been added onto several times since.
Mission of the Sacred Heart, Cataldo, ID
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, 1939, a Let's Get Associated poster stamp
featuring the Mission of the Sacred Heart, at Cataldo, Idaho, built by Fr. Ravalli, the oldest standing building in Idaho.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, 1990, special cancel for the centennial of the State of Idaho
In the early 1840s, at the invitation of the Coeur d'Alene Indians, Jesuit missionaries came to North Idaho. An earlier church 35 miles south of the present site was destroyed by flood in 1846. The Italian Jesuit Father Anthony Ravalli came in 1848 and he and two brothers built the "old mission" church, the oldest building in Idaho, at a new site, 25 miles east of the modern Coeur d'Alene. The town was later named Cataldo, after Father Joseph M. Cataldo, who arrived in 1877 and made his headquarters here when he was made superior of all the Rocky Mountain Missions. In 1887, the mission itself was moved to DeSmet, Idaho.
Let's Get Associated poster stamps were put out by the Associated Oil Company, featuring tourist spots all over the US. Customers collected these stamps from gas stations and pasted them into a book holding 100 stamps. Book Two, Roads to Romance Stamps of the West (1939) included Cataldo, Idaho (#139).
Loyola University, Chicago, Illinois
1945, the 75th anniversary of this Jesuit University.
Detroit Province Vocation Ministry, Detroit, Michigan
2006, personalized photo postage
In 2006, when the Society was celebrating the triple jubilee of Ignatius, Xavier and Faber, Edgar Sanchez designed the above personalized stamp as a gift to the Detroit Province director of vocations, Br. Jim Boyton, SJ. The stamps shows the San Damiano cross and beneath it the faint image of Br. Boyton. To the right the logo for the Jubilee Year.
University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Loyola University, New Orleans, Louisiana
In 1924, the EKKO Company of Chicago published an album to hold "Verified Reception Stamps" from radio stations all over the United States, Mexico, Cuba and Canada. It had space for 650 stamps beautifully engraved by the American Bank Note Company. In 1925 the PM Bryant Company, also based in Chicago, decided to compete with EKKO and began issuing its own stamps and album. They issued at least two different albums and just under 600 different stamps, but these were of poorer quality and printing ended by 1930.
Station WWL is owned the Jesuit-run Loyola University in New Orleans. The Gulf South's first AM radio broadcast was transmitted from a physics lab at Loyola in 1922. WWL-AM radio joined the Columbia Broadcasting System in 1935, and until 1989 was owned by the university.
Station WHAD belonged to Marquette University, the Jesuit university in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The station began in 1921 as a 100-watt station, with a 70-foot high tower. By 1925, the station was generating 500 watts. In 1934 the Wisconsin News purchased WHAD from Marquette University, and shut it down allowing the News' own station WISN to broadcast seven days a week.
Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, California
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, 1938, a Let's Get Associated poster stamp
featuring the Santa Clara Mission on the grounds of Santa Clara University
The first sight that greets visitors to Santa Clara University is the facade of the restored church of Mission Santa Clara de Asís. Santa Clara University, the oldest college in California, is also the only college in the state to be the successor of a Spanish mission. The mission, dating back to 1777, was the first outpost of Spanish civilization in the Santa Clara Valley. The university, founded in 1851, was born amid the tumultuous growth of the Gold Rush era. The mission moved its location over the years before coming to its fifth and present site, and the building has been restored and rebuilt a number of times, the final "remodeling" of the fifth Mission Church occurring on Oct. 24, 1926.
The missions in California passed gradually from Franciscan to diocesan control, Mission Santa Clara being secularized on December 27, 1836. With the coming of the Gold Rush in 1849, San José's population grew rapidly and there was far greater need for both religious and educational institutions in the Santa Clara Valley than Mission Santa Clara seemed able to supply. So in December of 1850 the new bishop of California, the Dominican Joseph Sadoc Alemany, offered the decrepit buildings of Mission Santa Clara to John Nobili, S.J., who had been attempting to open a school, and on March 4, 1851, Bishop Alemany appointed Nobili pastor of Mission Santa Clara. Two months later Santa Clara College, the first in the State of California began instructing students.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, 1989, postal card for the bicentennial of the University, Scott UX128
There are 28 Jesuit colleges and universities in the United States, two of which are featured on United States postal cards. The first, appropriately enough, is the oldest of the 28, Georgetown University in Washington, DC, founded by John Carroll in 1789. On 21 November 1791, William Gaston of North Carolina, Georgetown's first student, entered the academy. The building on the postal card is Healy Hall, named for former Georgetown president Fr. Patrick Healy, SJ.
Wheeling Jesuit University, Wheeling, WV
2005, meter stamp from Wheeling Jesuit University, in Wheeling, West Virginia
celebrating their 50th anniversary
Wheeling Jesuit University (then Wheeling College) was founded in partnership between the Catholic Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston and the Society of Jesus of the Maryland Province in 1954. Wheeling Jesuit, the youngest of the nation's 28 Jesuit institutions, incorporated on Sept. 25, 1954, and, staffed by 12 Jesuits and four lay professors, opened its doors to its first class on Sept. 26, 1955. It is the only Catholic institution of higher learning in West Virginia.
College of the Holy Cross, Worchester, Massachusetts
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, 1993, the sesquicentennial of the college, Scott UX171
The College of the Holy Cross in Worchester, Massachusetts was founded by the second bishop of Boston, Benedict Joseph Fenwick, SJ in 1843, the diocese of Boston comprising all of New England at that time, and he gave to it the name of his Boston cathedral. The above postal card features O'Kane Hall, which houses administrative offices and Fenwick Theatre. It is named for Fr. Michael O'Kane, SJ, the eleventh president of the College.