Old-World Charm &
Manresa is located in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan,16 miles north of the center of Detroit. It occupies 39 acres, partly wooded and landscaped, on the northwest corner at the intersection of Woodward Avenue and Quarton Road.
The campus at Manresa includes several buildings. The Main House is a two-story stone structure completed in 1936 and added to through the years. Inside is the main chapel where Mass is celebrated weekday mornings, the dining room, retreatant bedrooms, the library, lounge and meeting rooms. The business and staff offices and the Lounge are located at the entrance of the main house.
Immediately at the west entrance of the campus, La Storta House offers gathering spaces for small groups. St. Joseph’s House and other small cottages house the Jesuits and others connected with Manresa.
Manresa offers its retreatants comfortable rooms that include a bed (now with new comfortable mattresses and updated bedding), bathroom with a sink and toilet, writing table and chair, reading chair and a Bible. Shared shower rooms offer two to four private shower stalls.
Meals at Manresa are served in our recently renovated common dining room. Our kitchen staff takes great pride in providing nutritious meals, including accommodations to meet specific dietary needs.
In addition to the Main Chapel where Mass is celebrated weekday mornings at 8:00 AM, Manresa has two smaller chapels in the Main House. The Montserrat Chapel, with a replica of Our Lady of Montserrat statue, on the main floor, and the Cave Chapel, first built in 1979 and evoking thoughts of Ignatius’ time in Manresa, Spain, on the second floor.
The grounds and many bridges at Manresa offer a park-like setting to walk and contemplate God through nature. The Stations of the Cross, initially built in 1928 and updated in 2012, line the Rouge River. The Grotto, similar to the grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes in France and dedicated in 1928, is located on the east side of the grounds. The St. Ignatius Chapel, formerly a pump house with a working water wheel, is found along the river on the south side of the property. The Labyrinth, based on the 11-circuit design at Chartres Cathedral, is located near the chapel. The Empty Tomb, dedicated in 2016, is located on the east side of the campus near the entrance of the nature trail. Other gardens are scattered throughout the campus.
A nature trail through the woods circles the grounds, with some of the land in a flood plain along the main branch of the Rouge River. Our beautiful grounds are home to mallards and other waterfowl, great blue herons, hawks, owls, deer, fox, raccoon, coyote and snapping turtles.