The Internship in Spiritual Companionship at Manresa is an intensive two-year training program designed for those interested in becoming a Spiritual Companion. Rooted in the spirituality of St. Ignatius, Spiritual Companions work with individuals to help them listen contemplatively to God’s movement in their lives and to deepen their relationship with God.
The Internship focuses on developing the skills used in spiritual conversations that take place in hospices, jails, nursing homes, hospitals, workplaces or individual settings.
Upon completion of the program, spiritual companions are skilled to participate in spiritual conversations that take place in hospices, jails, nursing homes, hospitals, workplaces or individual settings and can lead parish fellowship groups or days of reflection. Graduates may also discover a calling to the ministry of Spiritual Direction, developing a long-term relationship with an individual.
The program is open to all people – religious and lay – of all denominations. Interns come from different backgrounds and life experiences.
The curriculum includes developing listening and spiritual conversation skills, the dynamics of the spiritual journey, forms of prayer and ethical practices. Presenters are members of the Manresa staff and professionals in their respective disciplines. Interns also engage in one-on-one spiritual conversations under the guidance of supervisors.
$2,500 not including books or retreats, payable by June 1 of Year One, unless other arrangements are made.
2 years Interns meet monthly September through June via Zoom
Internship requirements include:
- Participate in monthly workshops as outlined in the Internship Calendar.
- Complete assigned readings (about 12 books) and monthly reflection papers
- Spend at least 60 hours in one-to-one listening settings
- Complete 12 sessions of supervision with at least six to eight verbatims
- Lead one group prayer/retreat experience, e.g., lectio divina, small group reflections
- Have a spiritual director, meeting monthly or so
- Make a five-day individually directed silent retreat and a retreat of choice during the Internship
Download the Internship brochure
Take your spiritual journey to the next level. Discover what Manresa’s Internship in Spiritual Companionship can offer you.