Click topic for details:
Conference Retreats at Manresa last 3 or 4 days during which a retreat director will offer reflections to people as a group. The conferences or talks are about the spiritual life in general, and the retreats are for either men or women.Some of these retreats, however, are Topical Retreats that are addressed to specific groups with specific needs, and these retreats are sometimes coed. We also offer silent Individually Directed Retreats, where the retreatant and director meet one-on-one for a period of 3 to 8 days. You may usually make these on the days of your choice from September to April; during the summer they are limited to four scheduled sessions. If you want to register for any of the retreats, click on the Retreat Calendar or Retreat List . If you prefer to register by regular mail, download the Retreat Form, and mail the completed form with any required deposits. To pay for a retreat for which you have already registered, click on the Payment link.
A RETREAT IN DAILY LIFE
- Based on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola,
- this retreat will help you to:
- Learn the Ignatian method of prayer and discernment
- Deepen your relationship with God
- Have a greater awareness of God’s presence in your daily life
- Healing Services
- Morning Prayer
- Video Presentations
- Faith Sharing
- Stations of the Cross
- Eucharistic Adoration
- Praying with Scripture
- Lessons in Prayer
CONFERENCE RETREATS ON A SPECIAL TOPIC
- Weekend Retreat for Everyday Life
- Retreat for Al-Anon Women (Cancelled)
- Retreat for Men in Recovery (Full. Call the Office 248.644.4933 to be placed on a waiting list.)
- A Day to Call Your Own
- Manresa Healing Retreat (Cancelled)
- A Lenten Journey of Mercy
- Manresa Healing Retreat (Call the Office 248.644.4933 to register and pay the deposit.)
- Palm Sunday Retreat for Men
- Palm Sunday Overnight for Women. (Call the Office 248.644.4933 Ext. 0 to register and pay for the cost.)
- A Day to Call Your Own. (Call the Office 248.644.4933 Ext. 0 to register and pay for the cost.)
- Holy Week Retreat for Men and Women (Full. Call the Office 248.644.4933 to be placed on a waiting list.)
- A Day to Call Your Own
- Mother’s Day Weekend Retreat for Women (Full. Call the Office 248.644.4933 to be placed on a waiting list.)
- Christian Meditation Retreat
- A Day to Call Your Own
- Women in Recovery
- Charis Retreat (Cancelled)
- Hispanic Retreat
- Married Couples Retreat (Full. Call the Office 248.644.4933 to be placed on a waiting list.)
- Retreat for Men in Recovery (3 days)
- Manresa Healing Retreat (3 days)
- Sisters Six-Day Retreat
- Retreat for Women in Recovery (3 days)
RETREATANT’S DAY OF REFLECTION
Many people have said that they wished there were an opportunity for a spiritual tune-up between their annual retreats. Twelve months is such a long time to go without some kind of revitalization. Manresa is now offering afternoons for those who have experienced a retreat to renew their retreat experience or to introduce a friend or family member to Manresa.
The day will include a talk or discussion, time for private prayer/devotion, Mass and a dinner to round out the evening. Our first sessions have been very well received. Here are some comments from some of the attendees:
- “I didn’t realize the beauty of Manresa. I never had a chance to see it at this time of year.”
- “I appreciated the time of prayer before the Blessed Sacrament.”
- “This opportunity to enjoy the serenity of Manresa has reinvigorated the promises I made while I was here last spring. Thank you for the chance to touch base.”
- “It was very nice to spend the day in prayer, reconciliation and then attend Sunday Mass. I remembered my experience during my retreat here and it gave me the impetus to be more ready when I come next year.”
- “My friend invited me to come and see Manresa for myself. He was after me for many years. I am glad I took the few hours this Sunday to do this. I will be back in the spring for retreat. No wonder he loves this place. It is easy to know that God is close.”
The program starts at 2:00 PM on a Sunday and lasts until 7:00 PM. You can arrive as early as 1:30 PM. The cost for the afternoon is $30, payable upon registration.
Make plans to reserve a place for yourself, a family member and/or a friend for one of the dates shown below; spaces do fill up quickly! Allow the opportunity to meet God in the serenity. You can register today by calling the office or you can register online.
Our next opportunities will be:
INDIVIDUALLY DIRECTED RETREATS
Individually directed retreats involve three parties, the Lord, the retreatant and a spiritual director. They are based upon the principles of St. Ignatius’ Spiritual Exercises.
The Lord desires to draw closer to each of us in a relationship of love, and invites and inspires us to come aside to a secluded place and rest a while for that purpose (Mk 6:30-32).
The retreatant is seeking a more intimate relationship with the Lord and perhaps the Lord’s will in some particular area of life. The retreatant responds willingly under grace to God’s call. She or he sets aside the normal occupations and preoccupations of daily life and takes the time to grow quiet, to center and to listen for what the Lord will say. Retreatants need experience in prayer, the ability to enter into silence, enough self-awareness to recognize his or her inward movements and feelings, and moments of consolation and desolation in prayer. Retreatants also need enough openness and trust to share these experiences with the director.
The spiritual director is the “spiritual companion on the journey” with the retreatant . . . the journey being led by the Lord. The director listens to and encourages the retreatant in daily meetings to give voice to his or her experience in prayer and to come to a deeper understanding of that experience. Together they try to discover the movements of the Holy Spirit, to discern the direction God appears to be leading, and to choose topics for prayer that seem the most appropriate at that moment.
On a typical day, the retreatant may spend up to four prayer periods in meditation and then share the prayer experience with the director. For Roman Catholics the Eucharist is a focal point of the day. The remainder of the day is spent in other activities designed to deepen awareness of God and our relationship with God. These activities are solitary and contemplative and may include journaling, reading, listening to music, or walking and resting on Manresa’s 39-acre grounds.
The number, nature and length of periods of prayer will depend upon each retreatant’s needs and ability, as will the length of the retreat itself. Most people make retreats of five to eight days. A retreat should be a minimum of four full days because it takes some time to slow down and get into the silence.
To inquire further contact us.
To apply for a retreat of 4 to 8 days select the dates most convenient for you and register by clicking the link below. Among other considerations, acceptance of the application will depend upon the availability of rooms and an appropriate director for the time chosen.
SCHEDULING AN INDIVIDUALLY DIRECTED RETREAT
May to August Sessions
Each summer, May to August, we set certain dates aside for individually directed retreats. We invite experienced men and women, Jesuits and others, to form a team so that amid this variety of directors each retreatant may have a compatible person to walk with them through the Spiritual Exercises. The dates allow for 8-day retreats as well as retreats of shorter duration. Retreat arrival begins at 5:00 PM on the first day of the summer retreat session. Dinner is available at 6:00 PM, with the retreat itself beginning at 7:30 PM. The retreat ends at 10:00 AM on the closing date of the retreat session. Those who wish to make a retreat shorter than 8 days should stay within the respective start and end dates and times.
For summer session retreats of 4 to 8 days you may register online by clicking on one of the sessions above. Or you may download the appropriate application form HERE, fill it out, and mail it to:
Fr. Peter Fennessy at Manresa Jesuit Retreat House, 1390 Quarton Rd., Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304.
Cost for Individually Directed Retreats:
– May through August (within dedicated session dates and times only): $80/day
– All other times throughout the year, based on calendar and director availability: $85/day
Summer sessions fill up quickly so we recommend that you register early.
September to April Sessions
From September to April individuals may generally choose the dates they wish for individually directed retreats (minimum 4 days required), provided staff is available and no youth retreats are in session.
For September through April retreats apply online here or download this application form, fill it out and mail it to Fr. Peter Fennessy at Manresa Jesuit Retreat House, 1390 Quarton Rd., Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304.
Cost for September through April Individually Directed Retreats: $85 per day.
To inquire further about individually directed retreats call the office at (248) 644-4933 Ext. 0.
THE SPIRITUAL EXERCISES
- God’s unconditional, ever-faithful love.
- Sin: our failure and the failure of the human family to respond with love to God’s love.
- God’s ever-greater love, mercy and forgiveness.
- The person and life of Christ.
- Our call to discipleship, ministry and friendship with Jesus.
- Knowing Christ more intimately, loving Him more ardently, following Him more faithfully.
- The ultimate expression of God’s love.
- The suffering and death of Jesus for us.
- The victory of Jesus over death.
- His sharing His joy with us.
- Being missioned by Jesus.
- Being empowered by His Spirit.